A Bunch of Hacks
Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Windows / MacOS / Linux
Epicinium is a multiplayer strategy game where nature is a finite resource. Stray shots can bring down trees and buildings, tanks turn grass to dirt as they drive, and global warming causes destructive weather effects. At the end of the game, the winner is scored for how much of the map remains intact.
After working on the engine of an unrelated game for a couple of months, Daan and Sander decided to shift focus and create a turn-based strategy game. Within three months the game featured basic combat, a scoring system and online multiplayer. Since then, we have been working on fine-tuning the gameplay, improving the graphics, adding sound effects and music, expanding the AI and multiplayer functionalities and crafting the user interface. In the future we will also be working on a singleplayer campaign in collaboration with Loulou.
- Strategic turn-based gameplay with simultaneous turns.
- Environmental mechanics that challenge you to think about the consequences of each order.
- Weather effects that become more destructive as the game goes on.
- Cross-platform multiplayer on Windows, MacOS and Linux.
- One versus one, free for all, and versus AI modes.
Introduction Video YouTube
Showcase Matches YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Vous l'aurez compris : Epicinium vous incite à détruire, piétiner, bombarder, empoisonner, bref annihiler vos voisins, tout en faisant attention aux petites fleurs. Et ça fonctionne très bien."
- Tchey, JeuxOnLine
- "It's an interesting take on the genre. [...] It keeps you on your toes. [...] Tested it myself and thought it was quite unique."
- Liam Dawe, GamingOnLinux
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
A Bunch of Hacks allows for the contents of Epicinium to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Epicinium is legally & explicitly allowed by A Bunch of Hacks. This permission can be found in writing at http://abunchofhacks.coop/press/sheet.php?p=epicinium.
Epicinium on Discord
Join our community at discord.gg.
Listen at youtube.com.
Find scenario writer Loulou Swarte's website and portfolio at loulouswarte.nl.
About A Bunch of Hacks
In mid-2018, Daan Mulder and Sander in 't Veld became A Bunch of Hacks in order to pursue independent game development. A Bunch of Hacks is a worker cooperative based in Amsterdam.
More information on A Bunch of Hacks, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Sander in 't Veld
Game design, programming, sprites - A Bunch of Hacks
Game design, programming, audio - A Bunch of Hacks
Scenario - freelancer